The Bottom Line
- Dual headphone jacks.
- Quality color and contrast of display.
- Well laid out presence of function buttons.
- Battery charge time longer than playback time.
- When attached, battery looks like ugly tail.
- Not most attractive player on market.
- Screen Size: 7 inches
- Dimensions of Player: 7.48 x 1.2 x 5.71 (W x H x D)
- Weight: 1.52 pounds without battery
- Disc Formats Supported: CD, CD-R/CD-RW (MP3/WMA), DVD, DVD-R, VCD, Picture CDs (JPEG, Kodak)
- Digital Audio Formats: DTS, Dolby Digital
- Listening Options: Built in speakers, Dual headphone jacks
- Connectors: A/V Out (1), A/V In (1), BITSTREAM/PCM Out (1), Headphones (2)
- Battery Notes: Rechargeable Li-Ion, 4 hours charge time, 3 hours playback time
- Accessories in Box: A/V cable, Remote and battery, AC adapter, Power cord, Battery pack, Car adapter
Guide Review - Toshiba SD-P1600 Portable DVD Player Review
The buttons are well placed and easy to use. Toshiba got it right, placing useful functions within easy finger reach without needing the remote. The remote itself is a fine piece of work with its multitude of easy to understand function buttons.
Picture quality was fine for a mid-range player like this. The colors were sharp and the picture crisp while viewing a vivid movie. The sound matched nicely with the picture. Through both the speakers and headphone jacks were heard the highs and lows of battles and the accompanying soundtracks. A virtual surround sound option made this even better.
Connectivity was little issue, with jacks for headphones (dual), digital audio (DTS, Dolby Digital) and A/V out available to connect to other audio and video devices for movie, image and audio sharing.
Several extra features were found to be very useful. These included time jumps to a specific location on the DVD, bookmarking three specific locations to jump to later, picture zoom and parental lock.
The SD-P1600 supports a number of disc types besides DVD. Tested were CD, CD-R (MP3 and WMA music files) and JPEG CDs. Other formats are supported also. Battery life was as advertised at three hours.